Prince Edward County Municipal Services


One-stop-shop for all your needs related to municipal services as a resident of Prince Edward County.




Find the info you need on relocating, starting or expanding your business in Prince Edward County.


Explore what Prince Edward County has to offer for residents and visitors alike.



Public Notices:

No burn ban -- Open air burning allowed  Fire Chief Robert Rutter has...

Read More

Prospective STA Owners & Operators

Prince Edward County has become one of Ontario’s most popular tourist destinations. Many visitors enjoy staying in short-term accommodations as well as bed and breakfast establishments. Changing consumer demands also mean that non-traditional short-term accommodations are gaining in popularity.

The municipality is committed to implementing reasonable regulations that limit the growth of short-term accommodations in saturated areas and encourage new short-term accommodations in appropriate areas and in appropriate densities. Furthermore, the municipality wants to ensure the safe and respectful operation of short-term accommodations in the interest of all residents and visitors.

Frequently Asked Questions

All new STAs are subject to the regulations contained within the Official Plan and Zoning By-law amendments. Most notably, new whole-home short-term accommodations without permanent residents on-site are subject to density limitations.

STAs without a primary long-term resident are limited to a maximum density of 15% of existing dwelling units:

  • As measured within a 120 metre radius in settlement areas on full services;
    – In the Hamlet/Residential Zone, a 220-metre radius;
    – In other zones/areas, a 500-metre radius.

As a buyer, you must do your due diligence to determine if an STA would be permissible on the property you wish to purchase. Contact the STA office to inquire about density limits in the area of your property.

No. Bed and breakfast establishments and other short-term accommodations that serve as the principal residence for an owner or other long-term resident on the same property are not subject to the density limits.

The legal non-conforming or “grandfathered” status stays with the property even if it is sold, provided there has been no change in the use of the property and the license of the previous owner has not expired. A new owner would still be required to obtain their own license to continue operating a short-term accommodation on the property, immediately once the completion date on the purchase agreement has passed.  

Contact Us

We encourage prospective buyers to contact the County of Prince Edward Planning Department to confirm their ability to establish an STA on a specific property. If you require more information or have specific questions regarding your property or situation, please call 613.476.2148 ext. 2050, 613.962.9108 ext. 2050, or