The County issues Marriage Licences to couples who are getting married in Ontario, and also offers Civil Ceremonies. A Marriage Licence is valid for three (3) months from the date it is issued.
To be eligible for a marriage licence, the couple must meet the following requirements:
- Age Minimum – You must be at least 16 years of age to be married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years old, you will need written consent from your parents or legal guardians. Consent forms are available at the Clerk’s Office.
- Divorced in Canada - Official proof of the divorce must be submitted when you apply for a Marriage Licence. Proof includes the original certificate of divorce, a Decree Absolute, or a certified copy of the divorce certificate from the Court who issued the divorce.
- Divorced Outside of Canada – If you divorced outside of Canada, further information is required. Please contact the Prince Edward County Clerk’s Office well in advance of the planned date of marriage for more information, or visit http://www.ontario.ca/government/get-married-ontario
- Identification – Only one applicant is required to obtain a Marriage Licence as long as both parties have signed the fully completed Marriage Licence Application, and provides pieces of acceptable (original) valid I.D. for each party, as follows:
- First piece must be either: Birth certificate, Passport or Baptismal Paper
- Second Piece must be: Government issued photo ID (Drivers Licence, Health Card, etc.)
- Marriage Licence Fee is $125.00 (cash or debit)
How to Apply for a Marriage Licence
- Review the Marriage Licence requirements listed above and here.
- Download, print and complete the Marriage Licence Application Form.
- Use your civic (911) address on the form rather than a P.O. Box number.
- Ensure both applicants sign and date the fully completed form
- Bring your fully completed form in person to the Clerk’s Office located at Shire Hall between the hours of 8:30am-5:00pm, Monday to Friday, with your completed and signed Marriage Licence Application form, two pieces of original valid I.D. (as noted above) for each applicant, original or certified copy of divorce document(s), if applicable, and payment of $125 (cash or debit).