‌Engineering is a division of The County's Development Services. The division provides leadership and expertise for the building, improvement and management of public infrastructure. In addition to these projects, the department oversees and is responsible for:

Land Development and Servicing
Project Engineering, Contract Preparation & Tendering and Project Management
Mapping, Data and Civic Addressing
Encroachment Agreements
Entrance Permits and Approvals

Land Development and Servicing

Planning applications and construction projects require information regarding traffic, water and wastewater services and drainage issues. To support the development and planning process, the Engineering Department conducts field reviews and comments on consents and zoning applications. They also prepare subdivision agreements, site plan agreements and reviews and approves all engineering design drawings for subdivisions and site plans. Subdivision agreements are administered to ensure that all servicing works (roads, sidewalks, sewer, watermains) are constructed to County standards.

Project Engineering, Contract Preparation & Tendering and Project Management

Project preparation and management is a key aspect of the engineering function. It includes everything from issuing tenders and requests for proposals to the management and oversight of all capital projects for roads construction, equipment and housing, and water and wastewater operations. Engineering consultants are typically used to design and inspect larger projects.

Mapping, Data and Civic Addressing

The Engineering Department keeps and maintains an inventory of the roads and bridges in Prince Edward County and assigns civic addresses (“911” number) to properties during the entrance permit process. A Road Needs Study was completed in 2013.

Encroachment Agreements

An encroachment agreement makes it easier for you to sell your property if you have a structure or utility (e.g. water well) that encroaches on municipal land. The Engineering Department prepares and makes recommendations for encroachment agreements. To apply please view and complete our encroachment agreement information and application. 

Entrance Permits

Entrance Permits are required for the construction of any new driveways or driveway upgrades. Applications are assessed on site to identify traffic hazards, culvert requirements, etc. New driveways are then inspected to ensure construction meets the requirements identified in the initial assessment. At this time, a civic address (911 address) will be issued. To apply, please complete our entrance permit application.

In addition to entrance permits, the Engineering Department approves the location of any new utilities (e.g. telephone, natural gas, Hydro).


Any time you plan to dig on or near your property, contact Ontario One Call first. There is an underground network of gas lines, electricity, telephone, internet, and TV cable wires, as well as water and sewer connections that could be damaged if you dig in the wrong spot. Even if you’re just digging with a shovel, be sure to get a free locate of municipal infrastructure in advance. Some underground cables or lines are just below the surface. Knowing what’s below protects you and your family.

Request your free locate by contacting Ontario One Call online or call 1.800.400.2255.

Damaging underground services can have serious consequences such as:

• Personal injury to you and others;

• Loss of essential services, creating a safety risk for yourself and others; and,

• Expensive restoration costs and potential legal action against you.

For your safety, and the safety of others, you must determine where the underground facilities are located before starting construction, landscaping or any other project.

Then, when the underground facilities have been marked, you can dig with care.

Call or Click Before You Dig

Contact Ontario One Call at least one week before starting your project to ensure locates are completed on time.

This is a free service and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Before you call or click, you will need to know:

• Who is digging (it is recommended that the person doing the digging submits the locate request for liability reasons);

• When and where you are digging (address and description of dig site area);

• The maximum depth of excavation; and,

• The type of work being done (fence, pool, landscaping, etc.) and the method of digging that will be used whether machine and/or hand (shovel, pick, or spade)

Don’t take the risk. Get a free locate!

If you have any questions, email